Thanks Leonel,

I tried both options but couldn't get them to work - or at least I haven't
found the right combination.

I also created a simple ajax form using the example in the book to apply
your two recommendations.  I could only get it to work with the 'return
false' statement but that would not disable the button to prevent double
submission.  If I remove the 'return false' statement, the button shows
'working ...' but the target is not updated.

I'm still trying to learn what's happening so thanks for your explanations.

{{extend 'layout.html'}}

<form id="myform">
 <input name="your_message" id="your_message" />
 <input type="submit" />
</form>

<script>
jQuery('#myform').submit(function() {