I think I got it:

- As Leonel said, "Simply adding to current.response.files may not works
if the request is ajax". I have to add: if a component is loaded with
the LOAD function, adding to current.response.files will not work even
if ajax=False and ajax_trap=False.

- The statements:

        current.response.files.append(URL('static',
'jqplot/jquery.jqplot.min.js'))
        current.response.files.append(URL('static',
'jqplot/jquery.jqplot.min.css'))
        current.response.files.append(URL('static',
'jqplot/plugins/jqplot.barRenderer.min.js'))
        current.response.files.append(URL('static',
'jqplot/plugins/jqplot.categoryAxisRenderer.min.js'))
        current.response.files.append(URL('static',
'jqplot/plugins/jqplot.pointLabels.min.js'))

must be placed in the __init__ method, or any other method that is
called from the controller, not from the view (like the xml method).

The combination of both issues confused me, so thanks for your help!