Hi,
I know there are many questions like this but I still couldn't find any
solution to this. If there are any errors in the form they are reported
correctly. However, when I do enter everything correctly the user is not
added and there is no error message. I just return to the same page with
the fields filled in again, as if something went wrong.

This is a separate function from the normal default/user, and the normal
default/user/register still works flawlessly.

I have all the code in the view, and it looks like this:

*{{form=auth.register()}}{{=form.custom.begin}}         {{
form.custom.widget.email.update(_placeholder="y...@domain.com")
input = DIV( form.custom.widget.email, _class="item-input" )
=input
form.custom.widget.password.update(_placeholder="password")
input = DIV( form.custom.widget.password, _class="item-input" )
=input
form.custom.widget.password_two.update(_placeholder="password")
input = DIV( form.custom.widget.password_two, _class="item-input" )
    =input            form.custom.submit.update(_class="button")
input = DIV( form.custom.submit, _class="item-input" )            =input
    }}{{=form.custom.end}}*
Thanks for your time and patience!