This is a very intriguing development. It would be interesting to see
real-world usage  statistics (what percent of apps are all or mostly js UI, vs.
traditional backend-sends-html UI),
but since that would be pretty hard to get, the next best metric would be for
developers to
give an indication of how much work is front-end or back-end or hybrid.

Could a wrapper be written around JForm to send HTML if desired? (or is that
too kludgey). At
least then one "engine" could generate the data to be consumed up the stack.

On a philosophical level, it goes to a primary question: what is the "purpose"
of web2py ? From its
humble beginnings as a teaching tool, it has come a long way. Massimo, have you
(or any of the
core architects) published a roadmap for the next few years?

Don