could be my upbringing and my fat fingers/reliance on autocompletion,
but I see a lot of repetitive code and strings, eg
table_field = re.compile('[\w_]+\.[\w_]+') and 'keyname' etc.

like the table_field being present in multiple files, why not move
them to some shared globals and import from there?

any reason why frequently reused keynames are not provided as CONST?
Esp when used in different parts of web2py.
This might also prevent the 'Postgre' (missing s?) in sql.py

I've only been using python for a short time, so this might be the
python way to do it.

Hans