In my experience, startssl staff manually checks the site for which the
certificate is requested for (non)commercial content. Some borderline sites
pass, some don't. If this is for web2py.com itself, I think there shouldn't
be any issues.

For non-free certificates, various Comodo, GeoTrust or Thawte resellers
have certificates in the 5 to 30 USD per year range (email / domain
verification). If you need business entity verification, prices are higher.
In any case, prices have plummeted in the last few years.

Can't recommend anyone in particular, though.

Regards