That is possible for sure. What timezone are you in?

The problem is tar.extractall() is failing to create folders when run by
IIS.
I have reset everything and IIS is not running as the user DefaultAppPool
(which I can verify by inspecting the process).
I have made this user the owner of the entire folder tree starting at
web2py and this I verify as well.
The user has permission to everything, as does Everyone.

When I run python as me via ipython, untar works. But it fails (dies) when
running via IIS. I don't get an exception logged by web2py; the browser
just comes back to a blankscreen.

tar.getmembers() works: I see the contents of the file.
IIS/untar can also extract the files into a folder elsewhere (outside of
the site's webroot)

My suspicions about the Resilient Filesystem are growing because the
alternative location that I just got it to extract to is on NTFS.
The extractall extracts three files and then dies. The first file it fails
to extract (assuming extraction order is alphabetical) is routes.example.py

I've got logger messages inside a local copy of tarfile.py to try to see
what might be happening.