Hi everyone,

I'm researching different Python Web frameworks in order to find the
perfect solution for building a simple satellite control centre. Such an
application places large demands on the ability to schedule and manage
background tasks to communicate with the satellite, monitor the operation
of such tasks to ensure that everything is working as it should, and
overall stability of the system.

I'm looking at a web framework since I want to have it easy to use for the
operators. We're multiple operators, and having everyone using a single
stand-alone operation application or individual applications on their own
systems is quite cumbersome and difficult to synchronise. I believe that a
web application solution should allow me detailed control over the
satellite control centre software with an easily accessible user interface.

What I'm looking for is a web framework that allows me to operate two
components: a daemon that communicates with the rest of the satellite
software (upload control commands, upload schedules, download files,
monitor telemetry), and a web front end to communicate with the daemon. As
far as I can see from the web2py documentation there is good support for
running background tasks which is critical for my application. It is
crucial that such a background task has access to all information stored by
the Web application (satellite schedules, configurations, et cetera). I'm
looking for a relatively compact solution so I do not have to maintain a
lots of different software to have everything working.

For a simple operating example, consider having to upload scheduled
commands whenever the satellite is visible, while at the same time forking
out a separate thread to handle data download and processing to be
funnelled through to an external system. At the same time it should be
possible to upload real-time commands from the interface when the satellite
is visible for debugging and disaster recovery.

As it stands now I think the choice is between web2py and django with
celerey.

Based on this very brief summary of my requirements, do you have any
comments on the suitability of web2py to satisfy my needs? There is a huge
amount of Python Web application frameworks to choose from, and it is
important that I choose something that I can live with for a long time
since I have limited development resources (meaning that I cannot try out
several frameworks to see which I like best).

Your input is appreciated.