Actually I'm doing exactly this (compile app on another machine) for years
now without any problems (as long as I use the same Python and web2py
version on both machines). So I would be surprised if this is the reason I
cannot import the module. I tried to manually compile the files in the
modules folder on the server but this didn't change anything.

How are the modules working for compiled apps? Because everything else
(controllers, models, views) will be compiled and stored as .pyc file in
the compiled dir. Are the module files compiled on demand (on import)
directly in the modules folder?