Environment: Ubuntu 12.04; Web2py 2.9.11-stable

Let me describe the problem as below:

   - We use 2 DAL instance talking to 2 different databases, each with a
   connection pool of 10
   - We make many frequent DAL calls using both the DAL connections which
   results in many objects in the connection pool
   - At some point, web2py starts throwing an OperationalError with MySQL
   server has gone away when closing a connection. The stack trace is as below:

S'Traceback (most recent call last):\n  File “.../app/gluon/main.py", line
543, in wsgibase\n    BaseAdapter.close_all_instances(\'rollback\')\n  File
“.../app/gluon/dal.py", line 611, in close_all_instances\n
db._adapter.close(action)\n  File “.../app/gluon/dal.py", line 591, in
close\n    getattr(self, action)()\n  File “…/app/gluon/dal.py", line 1922,
in rollback\n    return self.connection.rollback()\nOperationalError:
(2006, \'MySQL server has gone away\')\n'

This made the whole app very unstable with error tickets occurring almost
for every action.

We had tried wrapping all our DAL with exception handlers for this error
but we were unable to get this sorted. Eventually, the only way I could fix
this is to put an exception handler around the the code block which is
throwing the error as below:
# added this to line 611 in dal.py
try:
    db._adapter.close(action)
except:
    pass

Note this, this error is reproducible in older versions of web2py as well.

I would like to bring this forward to the group for further action on the
same.