@massimo: we covered all bases. If I'm not mistaken grid uses smart_query,
that by default uses '=', that for strings/text/etc maps to 'like', that in
turns maps to ilike (after lots of discussion about it). Even if it used
contains(), though, for everybody (including the OP that uses sqlite)
except MongoDB and GAE, it would still be case-insensitive. If GAE and
MongoDB don't have case-insensitivity as a built-in, the only thing to do
is documenting the behaviour in the "gotchas" section of the book, not
opening yet another ticket in googlecode and leave a web2py-user hanging in
there ;-P

@nikos: with sqlite the search is case-insensitive by default.