My monologue continues ...

I found something interesting by accident. If the directory that the
controller tries to write to is not under the document root of the website
, then there is no problem.  It merrily writes .py files. I discovered this
because I have a controller which does the same untarring that admin does
when it installs a new app. I hardcoded directory paths in. I did not
update these paths after copying the entire docroot to a different drive,
and to my surprise the tar extraction ran without trouble. Usually it dies
as soon as it encounters the first .py file.