Tim - Thanks - at first I was wary of the AJAX approach because I would
have to submit multiple ajax requests, then multiple additional requests to
get the image data. But I found that I could return base64 encoded image
data with the ajax request and display that instead, saving another HTTP
call for each image. So with this approach it is almost as fast as my
original external script method. Also important is to run
"session.forget(response)" in your ajax controller to prevent the session
being locked for each parallel request, which slows down the multiple
parallel calls quite a bit. Thanks for the replies everyone!