Hi,

I wanted to create a validator which creates a dropdown of users in a
certain auth group.
I figured I could shortcut this by inheriting from IS_IN_SET, see class
below.
This works fine for SQLFORMS in create mode (drop dow with just what I want
to see) and for read-only mode (I see the user name, not the id) , but for
a SQLFORM in edit mode which is pointing at an existing record, it doesn't
pre-select the entry in the options drop-down.

Any ideas on how I go about getting this to work, or is there a simpler
solution?

If you use this validator in the DAL, you can see the result the admin
pages, so you have an easy way to test if you want to play around with it.

Thanks,

class IS_USER_IN_GROUP(IS_IN_SET):
    """A validator that can be used like "requires = IS_USER_IN_GROUP()"
    Provides a drop down of users in that group.
    """
    def __init__(self, group_name):
        keys = []
        labels = []
        staff_groups = db((db.auth_user.id==db.auth_membership.user_id) &
(db.auth_group.id==db.auth_membership.group_id))
        rows = staff_groups(db.auth_group.role ==
group_name).select(db.auth_user.ALL,
orderby=db.auth_user.first_name|db.auth_user.last_name)
        for user in rows:
            keys.append(user.id)
            labels.append('%s %s' % (user.first_name, user.last_name))
        IS_IN_SET.__init__(self, keys, labels)

    def formatter(self, user_id):
        hits = db(db.auth_user.id == user_id).select()
        if len(hits) == 1:
            user = hits.first()
            return '%s %s' % (user.first_name, user.last_name)
        return ''