@Jim S  Thank you for your post. I'd like to try it -- bootstrap 3 --
but I"m not sure which src files to link to in the layout.html file.
For example, should I keep or delete the links to the web2py.css/.js/.ajax
files?

I've already downloaded the bootstrap 3 files (.css , .js , /font files)
and copied them into the static folder(s).
I've been researching all day but I still can't get it to work, I think I
deleted the wrong links to the web2py src files.

Could you or someone post your bootstrap 3 layout.html file so I can see
how to do it?

Thanks so much
Cindy