On a testsystem I have installed version 2.9.11.
Afterwarsd I copies all the files of version 2.9.12beta over this version -
2.9.12beta worked fine.
Now I have used the "upgrade button" and I got this error

"unable to upgrade because "[Error 13] Permission denied:
'/home/www-data/web2py/applications/admin/languages/my-mm.py"

Maybe this error is a consequence of the "old" 2.9.12b.

Next step:
Another server, tried to convert from 2.9.11 to 2.9.12

Now I had to create a directory gluon/dal and then the upgrade worked.