in this case it's not platform-dependency the issue: it's the method web2py
uses for the upgrade-in-place.
We should label it CLEARLY as "things can go wrong if you press this
button" and live with it: there are just too much moving parts around an
upgrade.
Most of the times it works (and it did), but that does not need to imply a
fail-proof process.
Things can change, web2py is (most of the times) backwards compatible with
app-code but not with apps artifacts coming from different versions , e.g.
sessions (or cache) serialization due to speed improvements, and so on...
we simply can't afford to live with years-old choices just for the sake of
a working in-place upgrade.

Given the build-up of recent-releases crashes/errors/whatnot I dare to say
we'd need:
- a "fail-proof" upgrade process documented in the book
- label the infamous button on admin as "experimental" (proposed in the
past, but never happened)

It's really damn easy to upgrade web2py knowing its environment...
- stop the webserver (or prepare a new empty folder leaving the old one
running)
- prune existing except of applications/ and/or routes.py-logging.conf-etc
in the root (or copy applications/ and/or routes.py-logging.conf-etc to the
new one)
- unzip new web2py into the root (or the new folder)
- clean sessions/cache folder for every app
- start the webserver (or change the configuration of the webserver to pick
up from the new folder)

voilĂ .