Thank you Fran and Massimo for the info.

I downloaded the trunk using:

bzr branch lp:~mdipierro/web2py/devel web2py-devel

and installed the application.  The error message went away, but
{{=form.custom.widget.town_id}} still displayed '1' vs. the 'lookup'
value.  It also didn't display a checkbox where indicated.

Appreciate the help.