I replicate the error easily. Could you please try to change your controller’s
index function to:

def index():
    """
    example action using the internationalization operator T and flash
    rendered by views/default/index.html or views/generic.html

    if you need a simple wiki simply replace the two lines below with:
    return auth.wiki()
    """
    form = A('Click', _href=URL(c='default', f='index', args='1'))
#SQLFORM.factory(Field('thing', 'string'))
    if len(request.args): raise Exception
    #if form.process().accepted:
    #    raise Exception
    #elif form.errors:
    #    pass
    #else:
    #    pass
    return dict(form=form)

and try once more.

After form.process nothing left out of request I guess, and this causes the
consequent events. Shall we say, bad luck in example.