request.args(0)...

If user input 4 instead of 1 and access the page you can get the args the
same way you do it if you pass args value programmatically...

Is you question to know how you can avoid that or kind of double check if
programmatically passed args doens't change?

If so, maybe it is not exactly what  you want, but maybe signing url can
help :
http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/04/the-core?search=signed+url#Digitally-signed-urls

This suppose to avoid modification of url by user because if url signature
change processing is trunked somehow, I gues you can implement your own
logic about that...

Richard