I'm already handling my own validation so I can sanitize and do the right
thing as needed.  I'm mostly concerned about preserving user changes in
cases where they might reasonably expect them to be persisted.

Along those lines, since there is no "login expired" event (as I understand
it) there is no way to perform an auto-logout and subsequent auto-submit
like we've been discussing?