I have done some debugging on this by creating a brand new app and trying
to use the same db.py file as my app that's not working. When doing so I
removed some pieces of code I thought might be causing the problem and it
looks like I've narrowed it down.
In the app that I have running in the old version of web2py, I have the
following code:

from gluon.tools import Auth

response.generic_patterns = ['*']
response.headers['Access-Control-Allow-Origin'] = '*'
auth = Auth(globals(), db)
auth.define_tables(username=True, fake_migrate=False, migrate=True)
auth.settings.allow_basic_login = True
auth.settings.create_user_groups = False
auth.settings.actions_disabled.extend(['change_password',
'request_reset_password', 'retrieve_username', 'register'])

db.define_table('auth_app',
    Field('name','string',length=50,unique=True,notnull=True),
    Field('description','string',length=255),
    migrate='auth_app.table')

db.define_table('auth_app_group',
    Field('app_id','integer',db.auth_app,notnull=True),
    Field('group_id', 'integer',db.auth_group,notnull=True),
    migrate='auth_app_group.table')

I have these tables defined AFTER I have auth create it's tables because I
want to use the reference to the default auth table auth_group.
While reading the documentation, I see that you can define your own tables
before you tell auth to define it's tables and it'll use those instead, but
I would rather not define my own as the one auth creates is fine, I just
need a couple of additional tables for my app. I know I can accomplish this
my defining my own auth_group table so I can use it as a foreign key in my
auth_app_group table and then do the auth.define_tables() call, however it
would be nice if I didn't have to. It's not a big deal, but any reason why
in the old version of web2py I could get away with this and now I can't?

Thanks,