I think the first one (with more exceptions for register, lost password,
etc) is an acceptable solution.

However, when you start making more exceptions then it just starts being
messy, unreadable, and I would just start decorating my controller
functions (all of them if necessary). That's why it's a decorator so you
only put it where it's needed. I don't want to parse a bunch of complicated
if conditions in a model file to know if a function in a controller
(another file) requires login, it's high cognitive load I don't want in my
code.