the DAL has only these API:

db(query).select(….)
db(query).update(…)
db(query).count()
db(query).delete()
table.insert(…)

which map into the corresponding SQL SELECT, UPDATE, COUNT, DELETE and INSERT.

If you define a table with
   db.define_table(‘person’,Field(‘name’))
than you refer to it by db.person
If you define it with
   Person = db.define_table(‘person’,Field(‘name’))
than you can refer to it by simply Person.

other the query all the other arguments are optional.