I have some experience in moderating Googlegroups, stumbled on everything
from regular bots to some determined individuals with personal issues. The
most efficient policy was to moderate the new users and approve them after
the first post. Everything else was a gamble and the spam got trough.

The main issue we had was that approving users sometimes took more than a
few hours. It gave users an impression of prolonged moderation, although
this really wasn't the case. But the internet and communication in general
moves very quickly... new users expect to participate within minutes... new
threads to answer, questions to make... It's just hard to wait. It's a
perception issue, I think. If this group needs more hands & eyes, I'd be
glad to help as much as time permits.

Regards