On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 9:36:40 PM UTC+2, Dave S wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 12:32:28 PM UTC-7, Niphlod wrote:
>>
>> I know that may sound as "not-really-a-reply", but can't you just switch
>> Field order in the table definition ?
>>

> Perhaps it is a legacy table and he's stuck with the table field order.
> If so, a temporary table could be a work-around, but maybe there's a less
> complex way.
>
> /dps

Even with legacy tables, the field order doesn't matter. The ordering of
fields doesn't matter, the important thing is to map column names and the
correct type to the underlying model.
However, here we go the "official" reply.

@Kyle: there's a small "hiccup" with what you're proposing, because the
grid can show fields from any number of tables. The table you're going to
edit is ruled either as the leftmost appearing on the "query" , or
specifying its 'id' as field_id. You passing the table name is just a
restricted usecase scenario of the whole potential.

That being said, the edit form is istantiated with the result of "merging"
two mappings: formargs and later editargs.
<tl;dr>
If in a

SQLFORM(db.ATable)

you can choose the order of displayed fields with

SQLFORM(db.ATable, fields=['b', 'a', 'c'])

you can force the "edit" form of SQLFORM.grid with

SQLFORM.grid(db.ATable, editargs={'fields' : ['b', 'a', 'c']})