Sure. For a start I'll provide the list that I have.

Pros:
1) Search-engine friendly. SEs see proper '401 Not authorised' response
instead of '303 Found' when trying to access login-only pages
2) Unit tests - binding to 401/403 codes is more explicit. Receiving them
gives better understanding on what happens.
3) RFC compliance

Cons:
1) Browser must render the page to trigger the redirect. So at least in some
browsers (for me it is Fx 2.0) this causes a momentary page clear before new
page is drawn (old page -> blank -> new page).

So far I can see only one workaround: put there some content so that page
will not look so blank - in this case only 'content' part of the scren
should clear leaving menus/logos/other decorators static. That can be done
only in application I think.