I figured out what was wrong. It all comes down to CORS – CORS and user
authentication are quite braindead
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21850454/how-to-make-xmlhttprequest-cross-domain-withcredentials-http-authorization-cor).

I decided to bypass all this CORS shit and do my own user authorization.
Works like a charm.