I know this is REALLY old but this topic is crucial to production and gets
VERY little attention.

So, it seems that the lock script has to run AFTER the web2py server has
been started by www-data (as a daemon by UWSGI, for example).

Or, can root start everything even in its locked state?

I am sorry but this is another one of those sysadmin things that you may
assume that everyone is qualified to perform and that web2py docs need not
address.

But, that is a very bad assumption.  We know how to code but we don't know
Linux sys admin.  This must be documented:  security WITHIN web2py, as
addressed by the documentation, is COMPLETELY inadequate when a server
directory is pretty much open to the world.  So, this should be documented.
 I am afraid I am quite unqualified to contribute to such documentation.

Thanks,
Lewis