I was able to work around this by removing the requires_signature
decorator, and then having the controller inspect the url for the lookup
var that the autocomplete widget uses to know when to expect the signature
to be missing, otherwise to require it.  This would seem to leave a
security hole, although not a terrible one.

It still seems like this shouldn't be necessary.

- Scott