Actually the web2py applications/ folder is not required to be under the
the web2py folder. It can be moved and you can
use https://github.com/web2py/web2py/blob/master/examples/options_std.py to
specify the working "folder", i.e. the location where the applications
folder is located. Nobody changes it because there is no reason, see
Richard response above.