in addition to what mdpierro said, I'd argue that the best solution is
overriding, which can be done with the recent web2py.js versions. If a new
version comes out, you'd need to review the changed functionality and
update the custom overrides accordingly.
We do this
already
https://github.com/web2py/web2py/blob/master/applications/welcome/static/js/web2py-bootstrap3.js