Forget all what you've read there (joke)
If you want this rules works anywhere and independent of any insert/update
EVEN BY PROGRAM  - use db.table._before_insert/update  and so on (see
http://www.web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/06/the-database-abstraction-layer
)
It's almost SQL-level, I would say that pure SQL-level if your DB is
accessed through web2py only and you don't use db.executesql
Just keep in mind:

   - validators - UI level only
   - callbacks on record insert, delete and update - any level, except
   third party access  and  db.executesql