didn't quite get if it's an error on the recipe (which I can't replicate,
since it's my standard tried several times setup) or your "slightly changed
recipe" was the cause of the error.

On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 10:07:21 AM UTC+2, Remco Boerma wrote:

> [...]
>
> In IIS i have one site, which is the default web site. It's stored at
> c:/inetpub/wwwroot. This is where the web2py zip file contents went, so
> there is an applications folder, examples, gluon, jada jada. URL rewrite is
> used like in the example given in the web2py book.
> When the static rewrite rule is enabled and setting "error pages > Edit
> feature settings> Detailed errors" I  get the following error when
> requesting http://wvwebt01/welcome/static/css/calendar.css:
>

> HTTP Error 401.3 - Unauthorized
> access control list (ACL) configuration or encryption settings for this
> resource on the Web server.
>
> Detailed Error Information:
> Module   IIS Web Core
> Notification   AuthenticateRequest
> Handler   StaticFile
> Error Code   0x80070005
> Requested URL
> http://wvwebt01:80/applications/welcome/static/css/calendar.css
> Physical Path
> C:\inetpub\wwwroot\applications\welcome\static\css\calendar.css
> Logon Method   Anonymous
> Logon User   Anonymous
>
> Looking at http://stackoverflow.com/a/10457630 i changed "iis manager>
> default web site > authentication > Anonymous Authentication > Edit... " to
> "Application pool identity" instead of "specific user: IUSR" (which is the
> default). Since this user is not given any direct access on the files, but
> following the books recipe the  application pool group is.
> (http://www.web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/13/deployment-recipes#IIS)
>
> Thanks anyway Niphlod!
>
> Op donderdag 13 augustus 2015 15:03:34 UTC+2 schreef Niphlod:
>>
>> 401 means not authorized. What happens without rewrite (or incorrect
>> ones) is usually 404 (not found) .
>> Can you post more details about the structure of the iis site which the
>> app belongs ?
>>
>> On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 6:01:45 PM UTC+2, Remco Boerma wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm migrating from ubuntu to windows 2012R2 + IIS 8.5.
>>>
>>> Following a slightly altered recipe from the book to install web2py
>>> under IIS (but mostly the same) i've come across a strange error. Since i'm
>>> not accustomed to IIS, it can well be my issue is standard
>>> IIS-knowledge-gap related. I have installed the rules module, have web2py
>>> up and running. Now i installed another app inside web2py that worked
>>> before on a 2.11.2 on my local windows machine as well as on a 2.9.5 server
>>> behind apache and all of a sudden my static files are 401'd
>>>
>>> I don't use any special static versioning. When i disabled the static
>>> rewrite rule everything works like a charm. My setup is as simple as
>>> possible (only web2py in the root) running 2.12.2 stable on ii 8.5 python
>>> 2.7.9.
>>>
>>> the static rule in web.config (comes from the sample) is:
>>>
>>> <rule name="static" enabled="false" stopProcessing="true"> <match
>>> url="^(\w+)/static(?:/_[\d]+\.[\d]+\.[\d]+)?/(.*)$" /> <conditions
>>> logicalGrouping="MatchAll" trackAllCaptures="false" /> <action
>>> type="Rewrite" url="applications/{R:1}/static/{R:2}"