Hey!

Bootstrap was never a constraint, I am removing it from every single
project and adding foundation/semantic/custom - I can't stand it.
I am also manually writing forms (everything in between of
form.custom.begin and form.custom.end) while using the power of SQLFORMs on
backend.

What do you mean by lacks proper data binding? You mean between client and
server?
If you're going with pyDAL, you are using python on backend. So, what are
your stack goals that can't be achieved with web2py?

If you can explain your issues a bit more, I would like to help/suggest,
but I don't quite understand what's the problem.
It might be I am missing something, but...

1. You can remove bootstrap from /static and from layout.html
2. Add semantic /static and include it in layout.html
3. You can even write your own layout.html and get rid of everything web2py
related.
If you remove web2py.js, you can't use LOAD, web2py_ajax and few other
things. But it seems you don't really need those.
4. Add vue/angular into /static and include it into layout.html (or use cdn)

You can use JSON to talk with the client:

def my_controller_function():
  data = 123
  return response.json(data=data)

So what pieces of the puzzle are missing here?

Regards,
Marin