> My team and I are used to working with object-oriented ORM, and that's why
> the "self" feels more natural to me (and my lazy side says that there are
> many innecesary characters...), I mean that why not pass only the row
> object, "row" is an object of type row, and row.table is a row object too,
> I don't understand why is passed "row" if we always are going to work with
> "row.table"

As mentioned, the old style virtual fields could be applied to joins, in
which case, you must always access individual field values via
row.tablename.fieldname notation. Perhaps the new style virtual fields
adopted this same approach to be consistent. I agree, though, it would be
nicer to allow row.fieldname notation -- maybe submit a feature request.

Anthony