Also, let say you have delete a bunch of record and you want to keep a
sequential ID incrementation for some reason, nothing prevent you to update
your backend sequence start parameter and rewind to the last ID surrogate
number so next time you insert a record you will have consecutive ID...

Doc for manipulating sequence with postgresql :
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-altersequence.html

You can also reset the sequence entirely if you want to start fresh for
with a testing database for instance you can even automate this in a
teardown process after each test run...

Richard