Hello Seraaj

1) You can still use SQLFORM if you want, just preset the widget and use
the fields parameter of SQLFORM to filter:

def someaction():
  db.table.fieldX.widget = SQLFORM.widgets.autocomplete(request, ...)
  form = SQLFORM(db.table, fields=['fieldX',], ...)
  if form.validate():
    # do something with the form's data

or you can use SQLFORM.factory:

 form = SQLFORM.factory( db.table.fieldX.clone(...) )

2) Set the default for the is_default field to False
and check if there is a record in the db with is_default==True and a
different id that the current insert/update in the accepted portion of your
form processing, and set it to False.

Denes.