As a web2py user with a few months of experience, this is my experience
with migrations:

   - Most of the time they work, specially if you use PostgreSQL
   - Sometimes they won't, and fake_migrate plus the sql log usually help
   to fix it.
   - In very rare occasions, fake_migrate might actually make things worse,
   like not resizing a char field when you change it in the model.

I think migrations are one of the strengths of web2py, but they're not
perfect. You learn to work around what breaks them, and to double check on
deployment.
Yes, occasionally you will fix the production database because it didn't
migrate smoothly, even if testing did.