I'm very new to web2py so sorry if this is a silly question...

I have the following two tables defined.  The problem stems from
 Field('game_id', 'reference game')  , which I would expect to display as a
dropdown on a crud form, like  Field('student_id', 'reference auth_user')
 does. Instead it allows you to enter any value but only one that
corresponds to the id of a game works, anything else throws up an error.
Thanks in advance

db.define_table('game',
                Field('game_name', notnull=True, length=255),
                Field('genre', notnull=True),
                Field('game_desc'),
                Field('cost', 'decimal(10,2)'),
                Field('available', 'boolean'))
db.define_table('reservation',
                Field('student_id', 'reference auth_user'),
                Field('game_id', 'reference game'),
                Field('start_date', 'date'),
                Field('res_length', 'integer'))