What are you trying to do? Do you want to store this information in the
POrequest table, or do you want to prevent inserts if the item is not in
the db.inventory table? If the latter, IS_IN_DB will certainly work, but
note that validators only get run if you are using SQLFORM or if you call
.validate_and_insert().

Anthony