Hello,

I'd like to use a simple menu to switch between two possible languages for
content. I've got the content separated out following the markmin
get_content() model so want to use a global variable `lang`  to direct the
path of the content to be loaded in pages. I've got a couple of URLs
defined showing flags for the two languages and an if statement that
switches which is 'active'.

{{en_URL = IMG(_src=URL('static','images/gb.svg'), _height='12px')}}
{{my_URL = IMG(_src=URL('static','images/my.svg'), _height='12px')}}
{{if lang == 'en':
    active_lang_html = en_URL
    inactive_lang_html = my_URL
  elif lang == 'my':
    inactive_lang_html = en_URL
    active_lang_html = my_URL
}}
{{pass}}

These are then shown to the user by a small menu defined in layout.html:

{{=MENU([(active_lang_html, True, None, [
           (inactive_lang_html, True, None, [])
        ])],
         _class='nav navbar-nav',li_class='dropdown',
         ul_class='dropdown-menu')}}

So the active language is shown as the menu header, with the inactive
language shown as a dropdown submenu item. What I'd like to be able to do
is to have choosing the submenu change the value of `lang` so that this
code can then swap the top menu items and allow the content to be toggled.

I can see that each menu item could have a controller that changes the
variable `lang`, but I don't then want to load a new view, just alter the
view of the current page with the new value of the global variable.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
David