Thank you!  All due credit to almsaeedstudio.com
<https://almsaeedstudio.com/preview> for the HTML/CSS/JS template.  I
modified the template to match the web2py standards and the starter app now
includes all the capabilities.  I've created a menu item helper to create
menu items and also included Anthony's appadmin/manage by default for
administrators.  I'm still using the web2py styling for forms and
smartgrids (but I use a pattern in the Starter app in the controllers using
Datatables.net which you can see with the sample Dogs and Persons models).
 I'd like to create the web2py native form and grid styling but I think it
may make sense to wait for the new form.py and grid.py that I think Massimo
is creating for the upcoming release.

One other nice feature - open the site on a mobile phone and it renders
very nicely with the menus sliding in from the left and right.  I did just
notice the web2py user login menu doesn't render correctly on my phone so I
need to fix that.