Ok. So here is the hackity-hack solution I came up with (if you cant beat
em, join em):

parent.document.getElementsByClassName("iframe_input")[0].click();

I just force a click on the first input element when the modal hides and
this seems to resolve the behavior.  That being said, this seems really
hacky and Im all ears as to why this is wrong but it does work like a
charm....