In the "real" world, the task can take anywhere from 1 minute up to 30
minutes.

In debugging my problem, I created a dummy task that would loop (sleep 15
seconds then do a db write) and end after a set period of time. I'm seeing
the problem when the dummy task takes over 300 seconds - anything less that
that the scheduler is able to finish just fine.