I have now forked and pruned w2p-social-auth at the following:
 https://github.com/DonaldMcC/w2p-social-auth  basically only two changes
of substance:

1 It now uses appconfig to store the keys in so you will need to be on a
fairly recent web2py if you want to use this approach - alternatively just
put the keys directly into db.py but this obviously isn't a best practice
with github for sharing code.
2 I have removed the version of python social auth - I think 0.1.24 which
was included in previous file which means a lot less code - as far as I can
tell this was unmodified however it was not best if the plugin was
importing from their and internal imports within PSA were from the
installed version of that I had installed as a python package.

Having done the above - I have successfully completed a basic login with
the revised plugin and PSA 0.2.19 which is the latest version use Mozilla
Persona as the provider - I will need to move it onto an actual site rather
than localhost to test a few other providers but that will be next week at
the earliest and I still have a very limited knowledge of Auth, PSA or the
actual code in the plug-in - so it would be good if people that do could
perhaps chip-in with suggestions on where this should be heading and how it
should be properly tested that would be appreciated.

Donald