arghh ... this one was a pain.  For the record:

I had created a listener on the modal's show event to load the component
(using the code below).  Datepicker also triggers an event it calls show.
Since it was loading within the scope of the modal, it would trigger the
show listener when it was opened. After triggering another show, it would
use the parent URL, which replaced the page.

I still don't fully understand (so my description may not be complete) but
attaching the listener to the link click event rather than the modal show
event solved the problem.