I assign each user either group A or B, and by default web2py assign users
to the user_%d groups. I would like to query which users are in groups A,
B, and NULL so that (1) I can verify each user is in the right group and
(2) no users are in zero groups.

I have this controller

users = db(~db.auth_group.role.like('user%')).select(db.auth_user.id, db.
auth_user.first_name, db.auth_user.last_name, db.auth_group.role,
        left=(db.auth_membership.on(db.auth_user.id==db.auth_membership.
user_id), db.auth_group.on(db.auth_membership.group_id==db.auth_group.id)),
        orderby=db.auth_user.id|db.auth_group.id)
    response.flash=db._lastsql
    return dict(users=users)

Which generates this SQL

SELECT auth_user.id
    ,auth_user.first_name
    ,auth_user.last_name
    ,auth_group.ROLE
FROM auth_user
LEFT JOIN auth_membership ON (auth_user.id = auth_membership.user_id)
LEFT JOIN auth_group ON (auth_membership.group_id = auth_group.id)
WHERE (NOT (auth_group.ROLE LIKE 'user%' ESCAPE '\'))
ORDER BY auth_user.id
    ,auth_group.id;

However, users with no groups are omitted.  I could use something more like
this:

SELECT auth_user.id
    ,auth_user.first_name
    ,auth_user.last_name
    ,auth_group.ROLE
FROM auth_user
LEFT JOIN auth_membership ON (auth_user.id = auth_membership.user_id)
LEFT JOIN auth_group ON auth_membership.group_id = auth_group.id and
NOT auth_group.ROLE LIKE 'user%'

ORDER BY auth_user.id
    ,auth_group.id;

I could use executesql(), but I am trying to not give up too easily on the
DAL. Also, using DAL it's easy to use SQLTABLE in the view.