Well, in the interest of trying out the wiki again, I tried to reinstall
web2py from the "source" site download.  All went well.  I made sure all
was well with permissions (www-data on Debian Wheezy) and with the SSL
stuff including the admin password file.  Also the wsgi handler file was
copied into the root.

I went to the site in the browser.  The Welcome page came up fine.  No
errors.  I clicked on the administration button and it accepted my admin pw
fine.  I created a new app, modified the default.py to reference the wiki,
and went to the wiki with no errors.

Next I tried to create a new user (but if I do not and just try to create a
page by clicking on the button for that, the same thing happens).  When I
had entered my info and tried to register that user, I got this internal
error:

<type 'exceptions.UnboundLocalError'> local variable 'gid' referenced
before assignment

Once this occurred, I could not go back to even the main Welcome page
without the same error.

So something serious is broken in the auth area.  Can you help me trough
this please?

By the way, I have tried this as localhost on port 8000 to keep things
simple and the same is occurring there as when I come in via my FQDN.

Thanks
\Jim