Think about the problem this way.

db.define_table('category',
                Field('name' , notnull=True, unique=True),
                format='%(name)s')

db.define_table("Project",
                Field('select_category', 'reference category'),
                Field('Title', 'string'),)

def show_project_by_category():
    category = db.category(request.args(0)) #This is something lets say
people click from a drop down menu of all the categories
    project_query = db(db.Project.select_category == category.id) #Which
one they selected.
    projects = project_query.select(orderby=db.Project.Title) #From that, I
pick the referenced project.
    response.view = 'default/show_project.html' #just display that.
    return locals()

Lets say you create a drop down list or categories
your request.args(0) is the id of your category (like 1,2,3...). From that
you can access exactly which project it is. What you have is another
derivation of that.